We have a number of initiatives to expand the profit margins our business generates. These initiatives are grouped under two areas: revenue growth management and cost reduction.
Improving revenue per case sold
Revenue growth management initiatives ensure that we get optimal value from every case we sell. These comprise:
- Package mix: focusing on single-serve packs
- Channel mix: developing our presence in the immediate consumption channel
- Category mix: sparkling, tea and energy are key, supported by water and juice
- Pricing: capturing opportunities taking affordability into account
- 0.3% FX-neutral NSR/case growth in 2015
- 5 consecutive years of growth
The fallout from the economic crisis since 2008, combined with unfavourable input costs during 2011-12 and significant FX headwinds, has put pressure on volumes and margins in most of our markets. This forced us to adopt a strong efficiency focus, including infrastructure optimisation and operational cost control.
- 39% reduction in number of plants in our established and developing markets
- 17% reduction in number of distribution centres
- 29% reduction in number of warehouses
Operating cost control
We have reduced operating expenses as a percentage of revenue by 160 basis points since 2008. We have done this with cost discipline, but also with specific actions and investments. We set up a Shared Services Centre in Bulgaria and we are swiftly moving all back office transactional processes into this highly efficient and specialised team. SAP has been implemented in all of our countries, giving us opportunity for sharing best practices across the group.