The Coca‑Cola Company Celebrates 125th Anniversary of Coca‑Cola by Thanking People Around the World and Looking to the Future ATLANTA, May 4, 2011 – To celebrate 125 years of sharing happiness since the first Coca‑Cola was enjoyed on May 8, 1886, The Coca‑Cola Company is thanking everyone who has made refreshing the world since then possible with innovative, cultural events and exclusive collaborations throughout the year and around the globe.
“We would not have reached this milestone without those who love our brands, because everyone who has enjoyed a Coca‑Cola in the past 125 years has played a part in helping us refresh the world,” said Muhtar Kent, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Coca‑Cola Company. “Throughout this year, we want to celebrate by thanking the people around the globe who have made the brand what it is today. To our associates, customers, partners and everyone who loves Coca‑Cola, we thank you.”
For the anniversary weekend, the Company plans to create and share moments of happiness in a way Coca‑Cola always has – by bringing people together through music, art and entertainment.
On May 7, Coca‑Cola will host a special festival at Pemberton Place in Atlanta for employees and their families, where they will assemble Red Cross disaster relief kits and participate in a variety of arts activities. That afternoon, the Company will also host a 125th Anniversary Celebration Concert that will be streamed online as a live “thank you” to people around the world at www.Coca‑Cola.com/125, with integration through social media including YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. Musicians from Somalia, New Zealand, Britain and the United States will come together to perform at the concert, including the Grammy award-winning singer and American Idol season one winner Kelly Clarkson.
Hosted by Ryan Seacrest, the concert will kick off with a performance by K’NAAN, including “Wavin' Flag,” the Coca‑Cola anthem for the 2010 FIFA World Cup that became a worldwide hit. The lineup also includes emerging talent One Night Only, Grammy-nominated pop star Natasha Bedingfield and R&B artist Ne-Yo. Admission to the live concert at Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta is limited to Coca‑Cola associates and their families.
Around the world, additional Coca‑Cola celebrations and moments of thanks are well underway, including the following, among many others:
- Worldwide days of service for Company associates to serve the local communities where the Company operates. During April in Coca‑Cola’s hometown of Atlanta, associates cleaned up Piedmont Park for Earth Day, and partnered with the National Park Service and the King Center to serve families in need at Ebenezer Baptist Church, an historic part of Atlanta also celebrating its 125th anniversary in 2011.
- The distribution of a series of commemorative postcards from associates in Brazil to communicate optimism and sharing happiness.
- The kickoff of a series of sustainability initiatives in Kenya, including the launch of a Kenya Red Cross water partnership.
- The grand opening of a World of Coca‑Cola exhibition in Russia, featuring elements of the Company’s history.
- Grants for community initiatives that align with “Live for A Difference” priorities in South Africa.
- A consumer campaign in the United States inviting people to enjoy “125 Years of Summer Fun,” including a new package size for Coca‑Cola – 1.25 liters, of course.
- The launch of Vietnam’s Live Positively sustainability program.
- Sponsorship of the Harare International Festival of Arts in Zimbabwe, bringing together more than 140 artists from around the globe and more than one thousand local artists.
Coca‑Cola advertising, photography and artwork will be captured in a commemorative book, published by Assouline, as a reflection of the brand’s relevance in popular culture over the past 125 years. The books will be available at retail stores worldwide and at www.assouline.com with a digital version also available for download in the App Store for the Apple iPad.
To further mark this milestone, Coca‑Cola will release limited edition packaging in select markets around the world. Worldwide, people can now enjoy the Coca‑Cola heritage archives through the new Virtual Museum, an online 360-degree tour of the never-before-seen Coca‑Cola archives, which can be found atwww.theverybestofcocacola.com. Additionally, this week a new Coca‑Cola Heritage App will debut in the App Store. The application includes an interactive timeline and link to the Company’s frequently updated “Coca‑Cola Conversations” blog.
While the Company celebrates the history of its flagship brand for this anniversary, Coca‑Cola also looks to the future through its 2020 Vision, its roadmap for winning together with its bottling partners.
“We have the privilege and responsibility of being a true partner with communities around the world, and The Coca‑Cola Company is committed to helping build a better future,” said Kent. “We have achieved a lot in the past 125 years but are just getting started.”
As part of the 2020 Vision, the Company plans to double its system revenue from 2010 to 2020 thus accomplishing in ten years what has taken the first 125. The Company has also set sustainability goals as part of its commitment to being a good steward of the environment and a partner with communities around the world.
Coca‑Cola was created on May 8, 1886 in Atlanta, Georgia by Dr. John S. Pemberton and first served at Jacob’s Pharmacy. On May 8, 2011, Coca‑Cola marks its 125th anniversary.
The Coca‑Cola Company
The Coca‑Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is the world’s largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with more than 500 sparkling and still brands. Led by Coca‑Cola, the world’s most valuable brand, the Company’s portfolio features 15 billion dollar brands including Diet Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Coca‑Cola Zero, vitaminwater, Powerade, Minute Maid, Simply and Georgia. Globally, we are the No. 1 provider of sparkling beverages, juices and juice drinks and ready-to-drink teas and coffees. Through the world’s largest beverage distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy the Company’s beverages at a rate of 1.7 billion servings a day. With an enduring commitment to building sustainable communities, our Company is focused on initiatives that reduce our environmental footprint, support active, healthy living, create a safe, inclusive work environment for our associates, and enhance the economic development of the communities where we operate. For more information about our Company, please visit our website at www.thecoca-colacompany.com.
Note to Editors: Artwork to accompany this press release can be found at the Press Center area at https://coca-colahellenic.com
- The 125th Anniversary Celebration Concert will be streamed live online at www.Coca‑Cola/125 on Saturday, May 7, beginning at noon.