World Without Waste
Working towards a World Without Waste.
We believe every package has value and life beyond its initial use and that it should be collected and recycled into a new package. Together with our suppliers and partners, we are working to design more sustainable packaging and take action to ensure that our packaging doesn’t end up as waste.
Our Mission Sustainability 2025 commitments set out how we plan to achieve these goals. By 2025, we will:
- Ensure that 100% of our consumer packaging is recyclable;
- Source 35% of the total PET we use from recycled PET and/or PET from renewable material;
- Help collect the equivalent of 75% of our primary packaging.
Building on these important milestones, we are also committed to playing our part in helping to deliver The Coca‑Cola Company’s ambitious environmental programme, World Without Waste. World Without Waste is built under three strategic pillars, design, collect and partner;
- Design: To make our primary packaging 100% recyclable by 2025—and use at least 50% recycled material in our primary packaging by 2030;
- Collect: To collect and recycle a bottle or can for each one we sell by 2030;
- Partner: To work with organisations across the world to support a healthy, debris-free environment.
While we still have some way to go on our journey to deliver these commitments, we have made good progress to date.
- 99% of our primary packaging is already recyclable;
- In 2019, 12% of the PET material that we used to make our PET plastic bottles was made from renewable or recycled materials;
- In 2019 we introduced bottles made from 100% recycled PET across the entire portfolio of four of our water brands (Deep RiverRock in Ireland, Dorna in Romania, Römerquelle in Austria and Croatia, Valser in Switzerland);
- In 2019, 48% of the bottles and cans that we place on the market across our territories were either refilled or collected for recycling;
- We have reduced the average weight of PET plastic used in our packaging by 25% since 2010 through light weighting, eliminating 6000 tonnes of PET in 2019 vs 2018;
- In 2020, we will introduce KeelClip™, an innovative, minimalist paperboard packaging solution for multipack cans, in Ireland and Austria. We aim to expand this solution to other EU markets in 2021.